Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The Importance of Being a First Responder

Last Saturday I took part in a CPR re-certification. As it was an absolutely beautiful day, I wasn't exactly looking forward to spending what would amount to four hours indoors, going over material that I already felt I had a good command of. However, I must say that it was time well devoted to sharpening up on the basic life-saving methods that will undoubtedly serve me well someday.

We gathered at a fellow Instructor's home, at 1pm. As I pulled into the driveway, I was greeted by a jovial middle-aged man with a smile and his hand stretching through the window of my jeep, prior to it even coming to a halt. It was Joe Cohen, I would soon learn, our CPR Instructor and extremely nice guy, who had also agreed to allot a portion of his weekend to teaching us this valuable skill. We gathered in a room in the house and passed around CPR manuals, while Joe set up his video, which would help guide the instruction. The host generously provided food and beverages.

I braced myself for a very long and boring curriculum, but I was soon to be reminded of the importance of refreshing one's skills in the basics and it was glaringly apparent that Joe genuine enjoyed, if not loved to teach CPR. Our class was heavy on practical application, the student:teacher ratio was extremely favorable and Joe took all questions with enthusiasm. There were five students attending this CPR course, but I don't know why there weren't fifty! During each section of the instruction, I found myself moving from adult to child CPR dummies, rehearsing the procedures on the different sizes...considering the anatomy and imagining a particular situation and how to ideally respond. With children in this world now, I was more motivated yet to know what the hell to do.

The importance of knowing how to respond and being that person to respond first, when others are either paralyzed with fear or apathy, is extremely important. Anyone who has ever witness someone choking can attest to how truly scary a situation that is. Once, when I was traveling in upstate NY, we stopped a some greasy spoon for a quick meal. A few tables over, there was a very large family (literally and figuratively) enjoying their lunch, when the amiable chatter gave way to silence. I looked over to see a teenager holding his neck and going through various stages of color change, obviously choking, while his family looked on, apparently unable to provide aid. After what seemed like perhaps 10 minutes, a young man from the kitchen strode out and beat us all to the punch; grabbed the boy from behind, delivered a few sharp thrusts and out came a french fry. Quite the hero, he absolutely saved a life that day.

We all have the potential to be the hero...to act, but there are books written on the sort of situation where scores of people stand on the scene, while someone teeters precariously on the boundary of life and death but NO ONE TAKES ACTION! After sitting for Saturday's CPR cert, it is crystal clear in my mind again that rehearsal of immediate actions; of the fundamentals, is paramount. I am no stranger to this notion, but still I forget. When I was in the USMC, we were constantly training on the basics: taking care of your person and your gear; employing your weapon system; operating in various terrain; what to do in the event of a near ambush? Far ambush? How to cross a danger area? Contact front, R/L. We would conduct rehearsals for every mission we would carry out, going through the sequence mentally, prior to embarking on the actual mission. For then, it was the real deal, and mistakes were unforgiving.

We should all therefore have a basic command of the life saving steps - RESTORE THE BREATHING, STOP THE BLEEDING, PROTECT THE WOUND, TREAT FOR SHOCK. We must all know how to act in the case of emergency, to prepare ourselves to be first responders. We should also seek out the best, most qualified and enthusastic teachers to educate us. I am confident that Joe Cohen was that person, last weekend. Thank you Joe and see you again soon, with a larger group.

To book Joe for a CPR/First Aid certification, contact me at drdrill0530@live.com.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmmm, interesting post. I have never taken a CPR class and it is one of those things that I keep saying I need to do. Thanks for the nudge.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous= Jess Egner......

    ReplyDelete